The 1963 Congressional Record Lists 45 Goals For Communism To Achieve In America.
Decide For Yourself How Many Have Become Reality.
Today is May Day.
How May 1 mutated from a day of championing workers rights into a day of promoting socialism, communism, and all perceived injustices does not concern the average person on the street. Yet, it is a fact that there is more division, discord and disgruntlement in America as ever before.
How did we arrive at this point in history?
If you were to say there is a concerted effort to undermine democracy in the United States, you may be called a conspiracy theory nut or a supporter of President Donald Trump or his predecessor, President Barrack Obama. It’s kind of funny how both Democrats and Republicans see the other party as eradicators of freedom.
But what is behind it all? Communism? Please, don’t be ridiculous. After all, Senator Joe McCarthy and the House of Un-American Activities Committee was all just a witch hunt persecuting the innocent. Were there ever any communists in high places or influencing mass media? Did communists have any goals they wanted to bring about in America?
Though the following story has been regurgitated around the internet for a number of years, we investigated the veracity of the following claim:
In 1963 Florida (Democratic) Congressman Albert “Syd” Herlong read into the Congressional Record, “45 Goals of Communists” to bring about in the United States. One of Herlong’s constituents, Mrs. Patricia Nordman provided the list which came from a book by Willard Cleon Skousen, The Naked Communist,(1958).
It is always said, “consider the source.” We’ll briefly examine the source, Skousen, following his 45 goals list.
Simply put, it is true. The “45 Goals of Communists” was entered into the Congressional Record in 1963. And Skousen did write The Naked Communist.
The focus of the book was the communist country of strength at the time, the U.S.S.R. (Russia). Regardless of alleged U.S. election meddling, today China is the dominant and more dangerous communist force in the world.
How many of these goals have come to fruition?
Communist Goals (1963) Congressional Record–Appendix, pp. A34-A35, January 10, 1963
Current Communist Goals
EXTENSION OF REMARKS OF HON. A. S. HERLONG, JR. OF FLORIDA IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES Thursday, January 10, 1963 .
Mr. HERLONG: Mr. Speaker, Mrs. Patricia Nordman of De Land, Fla., is an ardent and articulate opponent of communism, and until recently published the De Land Courier, which she dedicated to the purpose of alerting the public to the dangers of communism in America.
At Mrs. Nordman’s request, I include in the RECORD, under unanimous consent, the following “Current Communist Goals,” which she identifies as an excerpt from “The Naked Communist,” by Cleon Skousen:
[From “The Naked Communist,” by Cleon Skousen]
Current Communist Goals
1. U.S. acceptance of coexistence as the only alternative to atomic war.
2. U.S. willingness to capitulate in preference to engaging in atomic war.
3. Develop the illusion that total disarmament [by] the United States would be a demonstration of moral strength.
4. Permit free trade between all nations regardless of Communist affiliation and regardless of whether or not items could be used for war.
5. Extension of long-term loans to Russia and Soviet satellites.
6. Provide American aid to all nations regardless of Communist domination.
7. Grant recognition of Red China. Admission of Red China to the U.N.
8. Set up East and West Germany as separate states in spite of Khrushchev’s promise in 1955 to settle the German question by free elections under supervision of the U.N.
9. Prolong the conferences to ban atomic tests because the United States has agreed to suspend tests as long as negotiations are in progress.
10. Allow all Soviet satellites individual representation in the U.N.
11. Promote the U.N. as the only hope for mankind. If its charter is rewritten, demand that it be set up as a one-world government with its own independent armed forces. (Some Communist leaders believe the world can be taken over as easily by the U.N. as by Moscow. Sometimes these two centers compete with each other as they are now doing in the Congo.)
12. Resist any attempt to outlaw the Communist Party.
13. Do away with all loyalty oaths.
14. Continue giving Russia access to the U.S. Patent Office.
15. Capture one or both of the political parties in the United States.
16. Use technical decisions of the courts to weaken basic American institutions by claiming their activities violate civil rights.
17. Get control of the schools. Use them as transmission belts for socialism and current Communist propaganda. Soften the curriculum. Get control of teachers’ associations. Put the party line in textbooks.
18. Gain control of all student newspapers.
19. Use student riots to foment public protests against programs or organizations which are under Communist attack.
20. Infiltrate the press. Get control of book-review assignments, editorial writing, policy-making positions.
21. Gain control of key positions in radio, TV, and motion pictures.
22. Continue discrediting American culture by degrading all forms of artistic expression. An American Communist cell was told to “eliminate all good sculpture from parks and buildings, substitute shapeless, awkward and meaningless forms.”
23. Control art critics and directors of art museums. “Our plan is to promote ugliness, repulsive, meaningless art.”
24. Eliminate all laws governing obscenity by calling them “censorship” and a violation of free speech and free press.
25. Break down cultural standards of morality by promoting pornography and obscenity in books, magazines, motion pictures, radio, and TV.
26. Present homosexuality, degeneracy and promiscuity as “normal, natural, healthy.”
27. Infiltrate the churches and replace revealed religion with “social” religion. Discredit the Bible and emphasize the need for intellectual maturity, which does not need a “religious crutch.”
28. Eliminate prayer or any phase of religious expression in the schools on the ground that it violates the principle of “separation of church and state.”
29. Discredit the American Constitution by calling it inadequate, old-fashioned, out of step with modern needs, a hindrance to cooperation between nations on a worldwide basis.
30. Discredit the American Founding Fathers. Present them as selfish aristocrats who had no concern for the “common man.”
31. Belittle all forms of American culture and discourage the teaching of American history on the ground that it was only a minor part of the “big picture.” Give more emphasis to Russian history since the Communists took over.
32. Support any socialist movement to give centralized control over any part of the culture–education, social agencies, welfare programs, mental health clinics, etc.
33. Eliminate all laws or procedures which interfere with the operation of the Communist apparatus.
34. Eliminate the House Committee on Un-American Activities.
35. Discredit and eventually dismantle the FBI.
36. Infiltrate and gain control of more unions.
37. Infiltrate and gain control of big business.
38. Transfer some of the powers of arrest from the police to social agencies. Treat all behavioral problems as psychiatric disorders which no one but psychiatrists can understand [or treat].
39. Dominate the psychiatric profession and use mental health laws as a means of gaining coercive control over those who oppose Communist goals.
40. Discredit the family as an institution. Encourage promiscuity and easy divorce.
41. Emphasize the need to raise children away from the negative influence of parents. Attribute prejudices, mental blocks and retarding of children to suppressive influence of parents.
42. Create the impression that violence and insurrection are legitimate aspects of the American tradition; that students and special-interest groups should rise up and use [“]united force[“] to solve economic, political or social problems.
43. Overthrow all colonial governments before native populations are ready for self-government.
44. Internationalize the Panama Canal.
45. Repeal the Connally reservation so the United States cannot prevent the World Court from seizing jurisdiction [over domestic problems. Give the World Court jurisdiction] over nations and individuals alike.
Realize first that Congressmen can enter anything into the Congressional Record. So this was not a big speech that enraptured Congress. Skousen’s work being cited word for word in the Congressional Record is not that unusual. What is unusual is that somebody found this text was in the Record and started to spread it on the internet. From that point on it has been used by conservative groups to show the inroads communism has made in the United States over the last five decades.
Skousen (1913-2006) during his long life was an FBI Special Agent; an attorney; a teacher at Brigham Young University; author and a Mormon theolgan. He was also most notably a fervent opponent of communism and promoter of the free market.
According to his many detractors he was a charlatan with zany beliefs including that the Founding Fathers were direct descendants of the Lost Tribes of Israel, who had migrated to the British Isles—and that by extension, the Constitution was the direct descendant of the ruling system of the ancient Israelites. There is absolutely no truth in that.
In 1960 Skousen was fired as Chief of Police in Salt Lake City by Mayor J. Bracken Lee. After the firing Lee wrote that Skousen “is a very dangerous man because he preaches one thing, practices another, does not tell the truth, and cannot be relied upon. He also was one of the greatest spenders of public funds of anyone who ever served in any capacity in Salt Lake City government.”
Critics have attacked Skousen’s affiliation with the ultra-conservative John Birch Society (he was never a member) along with his behavior, creationist beliefs, etc.. He was accused as a self-promoter who inflated his own accomplishments.
While Skousen may be unsavory, instead of examining and debating the cited text of The Naked Communist, the man has been sullied.
To discredit the 45 goals, it was pointed out one of Skousen’s sources, Arsene De Goulevitch used Boris Brasol as one of his sources.
Brasol, was a czarist emigre to the Unites States who helped to spread “The Protocols of the Elders of Zion,” a forged anti-Semitic diatribe that continues to influence the ignorant.
The germane question is: does all of that negate that these were and are actually communist goals?
Skousen writes of the 45 goals:
If the student will read the reports of Congressional hearings together with available books by ex-Communists, he will find all of these Communist objectives described in detail. Furthermore, he will come to understand how many well-meaning citizens have become involved in pushing forward the Communist program without realizing it. They became converted to Communist objectives because they accepted superficial Communist slogans. Soon they were thinking precisely the way the Communists wanted them to think.
Here you can read the entire text of The Naked Communist and see if it makes any sense to you. Skousen may come off as a paranoid loony. Or he may have been exposing an actual plan to infiltrate America.
Decide for yourself if the arguments presented are nonsense or if in the past 56 years we are being transformed into disciples and prisoners of communism.
“Be seeing you.”