Birds-eye View Of The City From The Shot Tower At Centre Street
And A Brief History Of New York’s Shot Towers
This view of lower Manhattan looking north is from the top of the Centre Street shot tower and was taken in approximately 1870 by E & H.T. Anthony, providers of some of the best 19th century stereoviews of New York.
The view confirms that New York was a low profile city in the 1870’s. The tallest structures in the metropolis were generally churches and their steeples. This view is dominated primarily by three and four story dwellings (some with laundry on clotheslines drying on the roof) as far as the eye can see.
Located at 63 Centre Street and bounded by Pearl Street, Worth Street, New Elm Street and Centre Street, the shot tower was operated for many years by the Colwell Lead Company who acquired it from McCullough after the Civil War.
The Centre Street shot tower was octagonal in shape and constructed of brick with 10 iron pillars reaching from the foundation to the top. The base of the tower was 25 feet in diameter, tapering off to 11 feet in diameter at the summit.
Shot towers were among the tallest structures in 19th century New York. They served a necessity in the manufacture of shot ammunition. Molten pig lead would be mixed with arsenic and dropped from the top of the tower through a sieve. The semi-liquid cooled as it fell through the air into a globular shape, and it was caught in a basin of water below. The process would form perfect spherical shot. It was estimated that the tower could produce 15 tons of shot in a day.
As you approached the shot tower the cacophony of sound was described by a contemporary reporter “as if 1,000 sewing machines were at full play.” If you stood just outside the room where the shot was produced the noise level jumped incrementally to the sound of “100,000 sewing machines now put in full motion.” And if you entered the production room, it was as if “1,000,000 sewing machines were at work for all they were worth.”
In a strong gale of wind workers described how the tower would sway, not backward or forward but “like a man full of liquor desirous of taking in all the points of the compass at one and the same time.”
According to the superintendent of the lead company, considering the view which could be obtained from the top of the tower there were few requests from visitors to ascend it.
The Centre Street shot tower was razed in 1908. On its site is Thomas Paine Park.
Shot Towers In Manhattan
All the other shot towers that existed in New York are now gone as well.
A shot tower was located at 261 & 263 Water Street operated by T.O. Leroy. Almost no other information could be found on this tower.
Weber’s shot tower constructed in 1846 by Adam Weber, was located on 15th Street between avenues B and C. The shot tower was 180 feet high. Demolished in 1910.
At 82 Beekman Street near Cliff Street stood a 217 foot dull red brick shot tower completed in 1857 for the Tatham Brothers. The Brooklyn Bridge was later built nearby and the tower became more conspicuous when it was painted to a bright yellow cream color in 1892. In written accounts it was often confused with the Centre Street shot tower. The Tatham Brothers shot tower was torn down in 1907.
George Youle’s 175 foot shot tower (some sources say 110 feet) was originally built in 1821 at the foot of the East River between 53rd and 54th Street. James McCullough later ran this shot tower for about ten years before relocating his business to the aforementioned Centre Street shot tower which he had built. On September 30, 1857 the tower was partially destroyed by an explosion and fire. It was rebuilt with imported Holland brick with walls that were seven feet thick. This, the final shot tower in Manhattan was demolished in 1920.